Tenant Glossary

All Questions A–Z regarding temporary rentals

Anmeldung - Registering at the Bürgeramt

Can tenants register at the Bürgeramt when they rent a temporary apartment?

Yes, tenants can and must register if they have a rental agreement and a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung from the landlord. It makes no difference whether you rent a temporary apartment or if you sign an unlimited contract. But please be aware: it is not possible to register with a hotel address.


Does the landlord have to fill out the Wohungsgeberbestätigung?

Yes. As a tenant, you have the right to ask for the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung and the owner is required to sign it. Please be aware that you should give the owner some time to fill in and send you the form.
Some tenants ask the landlord two days before their appointment at the Bürgeramt. You should not expect that owners can fill in the form at short notice.

Do I get a rental agreement if I rent a flat at Crocodilian?

Yes. Tenants and owners can conclude the rental agreement online. Normally, Crocodilian also prepares the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung and sends it to the owner.

What else should tenants consider regarding the Anmeldung?

  • Landlords are legally only allowed to rent out their apartment to tenants who come to Berlin to work here. Not to tourists. You will be ask to provide a contract. If you are a freelancer, please let us know and we will check options.

  • It might take a while to get an appointment at the Bürgeramt, so please make sure that you arrange it before you move to Berlin. You can book your appointment online. It also makes sense to check the availability of appoinments in other areas of Berlin. You might get an earlier appointment in further out areas e.g. Spandau.

  • Tenants usually rent a furnished temporary apartment until they have found an apartment for unlimited lease. Usually this takes some time, since the housing market in Berlin is highly competitive. This means you might not find an unfurnished flat immediately.

  • Please also note that landlords only rent out flats for a minimum period of 2 months. Sometimes the minimum rental period is even longer. This is in part due to a new law. It will no longer be possible to rent an apartment for only one month in order to get the Anmeldung.

  • If you move out of your apartment, you also have to change the address on your Anmeldung.

You can find more information on the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung or landlords confirmation of residence.