Crocodilian Blog
The Temporary Rental Blog from Berlin

Documents for Anmeldung - all you need to know

Christine Kandler Von Christine Kandler
Registration form

Do tenants always get the document for Anmeldung if they rent a furnished apartment?

If you rent with Crocodilian, you always get the Wohnungsgeberbestätigung, the document you need in order to register at the Bürgeramt in Berlin. We know that this document is even more important for tenants than the actual rental agreement. Without the landlord’s confirmation of residence and without registration, you cannot open a bank account, you cannot have your salary transferred

We have heard that some tenants wanted to rent elsewhere and they had been refused these documents. This is quite strange since landlords cannot refuse to issue a Wohnungsgeberbestätigung. If a landlord does not want to provide the document for Anmeldung, you should start asking questions.   

When should you expect to get the so-called Wohnungsgeberbestätigung?

Crocodilian makes sure that the tenant gets the landlord’s certificate either after the tenant has paid the deposit and the first rent or when the tenant moves in. We know that tenants often have already made an appointment and need the landlord’s certificate as soon as possible.

Why do tenants need this document for the Anmeldung anyway?

Since November 2015, the new German Federal Registration Act (Meldegesetz) came into force. Tenants must now provide a “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” (a form signed by the owner, proving that the tenant actually has rented a specific apartment) when they register at the Bürgeramt (local municipal office). The new law is intended to prevent fake registrations.

Are there any deadlines for the registration?

Yes, you have to register within 14 days after moving in.   

Do all tenants have to register?

No. The tenants must find out if they need to get registered. If this is the case, they must ask the landlord for the completed “Wohnungsgeberbestätigung” form. Different rules apply. The deciding factor is whether someone is already registered in Germany or not.
If the tenant is already registered elsewhere in Germany and rents for a maximum of 6 months, then nothing has to be done. If tenants extend the rental agreement beyond the six months, however, then they are obliged to register at the Bürgeramt (within two weeks after going beyond the 6-month time limit.)
If tenants are registered abroad and rent more than 3 months, they must register at the Bürgeramt within two weeks after the beginning of the rental. If tenants initially rent for two months and then extend the rent for another two months, the same procedure applies. They also have to register. Those who come from abroad to start a job in Germany will need to register immediately anyway since they need a tax ID and a bank account.

How you can book an appointment at the Bürgeramt?

You can normally book an appointment online, but not in times of Corona. If you want to register as soon as possible, you should be flexible. If you cannot get an appointment at your nearest Bürgeramt in the near future, you should consider traveling to other districts where there is less demand. You don’t have to register in the district where you live.
Another option is calling 030-115. Since people are obliged to cancel appointments if they cannot make it, there is always a good chance to get an appointment to register the same or the next day-

Can I register online?

Normally, you have to show up in person. In times of Corona, it might be possible to register online. It changes all the time, so it makes sense to call 030 -115 and ask.    

What information is contained in the document for Anmeldung (Wohnungsgeberbestätigung)?

The property owner, or the management operating in their name, must include the following information:

  • Name of the landlord
  • Name of the legal property owner with address (if the landlord and actual property owner are not the same)
  • Address of the apartment
  • Move-in date
  • Name(s) of persons being registered

What happens if the property owner doesn’t fill out the theWohnungsgeberbestätigung form?

German law obliges landlords to provide such a form if the tenant asks for it. If not, the property owner commits a legal offense. Tenants also commit a legal offense if they do not get registered. Both are liable to fines.
You should, however, give the property owner time to organize getting the confirmation of residence. It is best to inform landlords about it upon signing the contract. Tenants shouldn’t wait to ask only a day or two before the appointment at the Bürgeramt!

Which Anmeldung documents do tenants need to register at the Bürgeramt?

  • passport
  • rental agreement
  • Wohnungsgeberbestätigung (confirmation of residence)
  • visa or permit of residence if applicable
  • for the first registration in Germany, civil status certificates (marriage certificate, birth certificate) if applicable

What happens when I move out of an apartment?

You need to deregister (or re-register if moving to somewhere else in Germany.) In this case, however, you do not require any confirmation from the property owner.

back to category: | The Temporary Rental Blog | Tenants | Paperwork & important stuff